Being that one of the few things that didn’t die in the garden last year was spearmint, and the fact that Buffalo Trace was on sale at the store I decided to try and make a mint julep. I’ve never tried a real one so I’m going with my palate on what I think tastes good.
The recipe make 2 servings:
- 8 spearmint leaves + stem/stems (rinsed and dried)
- 2 spearmint leaves for garnish
- 4 ounces bourbon (Buffalo Trace if you have it)
- 2 teaspoon cotton candy sugar (one per glass)
- 2 long strands of lemon zest
I know citrus is not classic in this cocktail but I believe the smell that it gives off combined with the fresh mint floating in the glass gives it a brighter, more fresh taste.